Why do stainless steel door panels rust?
When there are brown rust spots (spots) on the surface of the stainless steel door, we will feel strange: 'The stainless steel door is not rusted, it is not the stainless steel door that is rusted, it may be a problem with the stainless steel.' In fact, this is a one-sided lack of understanding of the stainless steel door panel. misunderstanding. Stainless steel door panels will rust under certain conditions.
Stainless steel door panels have the ability to resist atmospheric oxidation—that is, they do not corrode, and they also have the ability to corrode in acid, alkali, and salt media—that is, corrosion resistance. However, its corrosion resistance varies due to the chemical formation of the steel itself, the state of mutual addition, the conditions of use and the type of environmental media. For example, 304 steel pipe has excellent anti-corrosion ability in a dry and clean atmosphere, but when it is moved to the seaside, it will quickly rust if it contains a lot of salt in the sea fog; 316 steel pipe has good performance. Therefore, it is not any kind of stainless steel door panel, it is corrosion resistant and will not rust in any environment.
There are many forms of surface film damage, and the following are common in daily life:
Stainless steel door panels rely on the surface to form a thin, strong, dense and stable chromium-rich oxide film (protective film) to prevent oxygen atoms from continuing to penetrate and continue to oxidize, thereby obtaining corrosion resistance. Once this film is continuously destroyed for some reason, the oxygen atoms in the air or liquid will continue to penetrate or the iron atoms in the metal will continue to precipitate, forming loose iron oxide, and the metal surface will continue to rust. There are many forms of damage to this surface film. The most common ones in daily life are the following:
1. There is dust or foreign metal particles containing other metal elements on the surface of the stainless steel door panel. In humid air, condensation between the accessory and the stainless steel door connects the two into a tiny battery that generates electricity. The chemical reaction destroys the protective film, called galvanic corrosion.
2. Organic juices (such as wax gourd, vegetables, noodle soup, sputum, etc.) are attached to the surface of the stainless steel door, and organic acids are formed in the presence of water and oxygen, which will corrode the metal surface for a long time.
3. The stainless steel facade is attached with substances such as acid, alkali and salt (such as alkaline water and limestone splashed on the decorative wall), causing local corrosion.
4. In the polluted air (such as the atmosphere containing a large amount of sulfides, carbon oxides, nitrogen oxides), liquid spots such as sulfuric acid, nitric acid, and acetic acid will be formed in the presence of condensed water, causing chemical corrosion.
All of the above will cause damage and rust to the protective film on the surface of the stainless steel door panel. Therefore, in order to ensure that the metal surface is bright and not corroded, we recommend:
1. The surface of decorative stainless steel door panels should be cleaned and scrubbed frequently to remove accessories and eliminate external factors that cause deterioration.
2. 316 stainless steel doors should be used in coastal areas, and 316 materials can resist seawater corrosion.
3. The chemical composition of some stainless steel doors on the market does not meet the corresponding national standards and does not meet the requirements of 304 material. Therefore, it will also cause rust, which requires users to carefully choose products from reputable manufacturers.
Clouds of architectural metal fabrication failures surround the world of architectural metal fabrication in particular, simply because people don’t pay as much attention to the architectural metalwork as they should do.
Check out Topson Stainless Steel Decorative Sheets&Metal Fabrication Works for optimal quality products, and get your architectural metalwork problem fixed. Send us an enquiry or make a call if you are interested.
As the manufacturing procedure of architectural metalwork becomes more regulated, the costs to businesses will increase and the workforce will suffer as a result.